Hi dear friends and followers! I am excited to be writing this post on the day of the blue moon. As promised, Queen Jeanne is making her way back and the garden produce is calling as well as the kitchen. A girl’s got to eat, right? I am afraid during this recovery time I have not been checking the garden as often as I should and a few of those baseball bat zucchini have evolved and had to join their veggie friends in the compost. I have, however, managed to harvest a few when they were still young and tender and this is what I used for this recipe. You must be thinking I eat a lot of this squash but really it’s just that it is in prime season and I have been trying to use it in as many ways as I can.
I will tell you one of the motivating factors for planting it this year has been my husbands aversion to it. Although he is a very adventurous eater for the most part, he does harbor negative feelings about three of my favorite vegetables, zucchini, eggplant and radishes. I was determined to change his mind and change his mind I did. When I prepared this recipe for him he finally conceded that I had managed to convert him about zucchini as well as the other two. Yea! I am doing a victory dance or I would be if I were feeling up to it.
Zucchini fritters are delicious and can be served as a side or as a light lunch or snack. The recipe goes down like this.
Recipe Serves 4-6
1lb. zucchini, about 2 medium
1 t sea salt
1 T freshly grated lemon zest (one lemon) plus one lemon cut into 8 wedges (optional)
10 sprigs flat leaf parsley, stems removed and leaves finely chopped
1 medium clove of garlic, minced or pressed
1/4 t freshly ground pepper
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 c all-purpose flour
Dash of love
2-4 T coconut oil or oil of choice
- Using the large holes of a box grater, grate zucchini into a large bowl.
- Add the salt,lemon zest, parsley, garlic, pepper and eggs. Mix well to combine.
- Slowly add the flour, stirring so no lumps form.
- Add a big dash of love.
- Heat 2T of the oil in a large saute pan over medium heat until the oil sizzles when you drop a small amount of the zucchini mixture into the pan.
- Carefully drop about 2T of the zucchini mixture into the pan; repeat, spacing fritters a few inches apart.
- Cook fritters until golden 2-3 minutes. Lower heat to medium. Turn fritters, and continue cooking until golden 2-3 minutes more.
- Transfer to a plate, set aside in a warm place.
- Cook remaining zucchini mixture, adding more oil to pan, if necessary.
- Serve warm garnished with parsley sprigs and lemon wedges, if desired.
Are you feeling the love? This dish is crispy, flavorful and very versatile. You could modify it by adding different herbs like basil or tarragon or add additional flavor profiles by including bacon crumbles or smoked salmon. Let your imaginations run wild and create your own masterpiece. There is just one thing you cannot leave out and that is the secret ingredient, “love.” It is essential!
I would like to say this is the last zucchini recipe of the season but I cannot be sure. I have a few more wonderful creations in my arsenal like paring it with double chocolate so it may be hard to resist sharing. I will try to use some restraint, I promise.
Meanwhile, let me know what you have done with this recipe. Did you make it as is? Add your own touches? Regardless, I would love to hear from you as always. Don’t forget tonight is the night of the blue moon so get out and enjoy it. Summer isn’t over yet so let’s make the most of it!